I’m at Terminal 3 at Heathrow airport, waiting for a Finnair flight to Helsinki (hope I won’t disappear into Finnair), then a train to Tampere for the IFLA information literacy conference.
- It’s a Nordic country, but emphatically not Scandinavian
- Joined the EU in January 1995; founder member of the Euro in 2002
- 2006 Eurovision winners (remember Lordi?)
- “Sauna” is pronounced “sah-oo-nah” not “saw-nuh”
- The Kalevala is Finland’s national epic and it was a strong influence on JRR Tolkien (don’t read too much of The Lord of the Rings, it’s hobbit-forming)
- The world Mobile Phone Throwing Championships take place in Savonlinna each year in August (shame, can’t fit it into my itinerary this visit)